Tuesday, January 22, 2008

is it all for the money?

yesterday, i had a job interview. this job was a referral from an ex-colleague, Elaine, just purely on goodwill basis and not under her account or whatsoever. based on what Elaine shared with me before i sent my resume, she briefed me that this MNC company was looking for fresh grads and would be paying about 2.5k. upon confirmation, it'll be about 2.8k. sure sounds tempting, doesn't it?

it's prolly my instincts or i'm worrying too much after i got hooked up with an interview; the job still had some things to do with Sales.

maybe as a marketer, we can never really pull away from Sales. whatever job that is, there would be some part involved in the any spectrum of sales; be it cold-calling, looking for leads and visiting clients and so on.

just as what i've expected: other than marketing activities like organizing events, forecast reports and so on, i will be also have to be involved in certain Sales activities. even though there won't be any targets to meet or my salary is commission driven, my job scope still evolves calling up new leads and so on. haix.

anyway, this company is an IT Security Solutions Distributor. they work in this way where the Channel Program (or Marketers) will be finding the leads, and the Channel Sales will be the ones to follow up and close the deal. so that was what they meant by "i won't be chasing figures" as it'll be done by the Sales department. still, it would still involved cold-calling - the suckiest part of Sales.

Ker Ker told me to just take up the job, and YM too. both of them sang the same tune, "they pay good!" and they told me that i need the money now for the wedding. and they also said that i couldn't possibly be sitting there and wait till the dream job plops on my lap. so since i'll be waiting for that dream job, might as well wait with a good pay rather than a meagre salary at NAFA. i agree with them: but even if i'm not too comfortable with the job scope, i still have to go ahead?

job market for a proper Marketing positions is low, and not many would accept novices like me now. also, they won't be willing to pay that much...

it seems like i don't exactly have much choice huh?

should i just close my eyes and jump in, then decide whether it's good for me?

No comments: